Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Small Business Ventures

Anyone ever realized just how fun it is to get a attention for a small business? I mean, it’s hard, people! I’ve been sitting here trying to think up new, innovative ways to bring FCP into the light. Oh sure, the family pitches in, hands out our business cards, tells everyone about “those books they’ve been writing forever.” And the friends and family all smile and say, “oh, how nice” and continue on buying butter or knitting or changing diapers or whatever the hell they were doing previously. Meanwhile, Rya and I are looking at our small deposit in our bank account and are wondering how we can expand that little bundle o’dough without killing it. Exponentially. Okay, sure, we’re not J.K. Rowling by any means, but I think we’ve got a thing going. We should have some more money in there.

So Rya got going on the craft circuit in Florida, setting up a tent and selling books and gadgets – we are always on the lookout for any kind of promotional item that doesn’t cost a lot but still would get someone’s attention. I’m still working, so I can’t take off on a dime and head down to Florida – and furthermore, I have this serious thing about porta-potties in the middle of fields that Rya can’t fathom and just laughs at me. When she starts selling in a hotel with modern plumbing, I’ll think about jumping a plane, but until then, I’m staying put! That being said, she sold a shit-ton of books down there…got us a lot of new fans, had a great time with her new Square system. She’s definitely got the knack for this kind of thing.

Meanwhile, I set up shop online with the good folks at TeeSpring (https://farcrutch-productions-2.creator-spring.com/), adding our cool FCP Double Dragon© logo on shirts and stickers and aprons and shoes and stuff – and the items are actually great, but due to their lousy website kicking off every chance it gets, I haven't been able to add any new stuff lately, and that’s frustrating. I’ve purchased a lot of the stuff myself, and I wear the shirts and display the magnets, etc. etc. Folks think they’re neat, but when I hold one out – “Would you display it?” – they immediately come up with all kinds of excuses – “oh, I don’t want to lose it in the carwash, I’ll mess it up, I don't wear tee shirts,” etc. I think my mother and my sister bought shirts just to shut me up. My husband kind of grunted and went to watch football. The struggle continues.

And then there’s social media. Facebook is heaven-sent for getting the word out. Loads of homemade ads, posts about authors and writing, posts that practically beg for everyone to just read ONE book. (I even put them up for free at one point – I’m pretty sure that’s what got us our first hundred fans, actually, that one free book...that and our nagging.) Kindly asking for folks to leave us reviews. (Thanks for all the good ones, by the way.) Setting up this blog. (Anyone reading it, besides me and Rya? Is Rya even reading it? You there, girl? LOL – okay, at least I am keeping it alive.)

Well, at any rate, I’ll keep plugging to find new methods. Might hire a herald if he doesn’t cost too much. Hear ye, hear ye.

 - Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment